NaijaTalkTalk: Meet Dr Emmanuel Owobu: Co-founder of MobiCure

I recently ran into one of TechCamp West Africa that represented Nigeria and we got talking on how he as medial doctor found his way into the world of technology.

Q1: Tell me a bit about your background
I am Emmanuel Owobu, a medical doctor, social entrepreneur and mobile health consultant. How did you get into tech entrepreneurship? Tech is something I have always loved. Despite my background in medicine as a Medical Doctor, I usually go out of my way to find out the latest in the tech industry. My transit into the tech entrepreneurship was born out of the need to solve niggling social problems.  I am a social entrepreneur and a firm believer in ICT4D. So, as a medical doctor in the in the tech entrepreneurship field; solving healthcare needs is what I would naturally be drawn into doing. Hence, the start-up, MOBicure and our premier product OMOMI which provides maternal and childhealth care solutions.

Q2: How long has your company being running and What services does your company offer? MOBicure has been up for about a year now and we provide healthcare solutions using ICT

Q3: What societal problem are you solving with your tech company and What are the hurdles currently being faced?
Our flagship product, OMOMI, looks solve the problem of maternal and child mortality through access to quality health information on  immunization, antenatal care, breastfeeding etc.. OMOMI is a mobile health SMS, IVR and app service based on the WHO childhood survival strategies. We have a mother’s community, social platform where mothers and doctors come to share and learn.

Q4: What fuels your passion?
The need for always doing the right thing. I am generally a happy person and so I am always drawn to seeing people around me being happy. That in itself, makes me want to do more. So to answer your question, Seeing people happy drives my passion.

Q5: Tell us some of the milestone achievements of your tech company?
So far the company has won a couple of international awards which includes WSYA 2014, Best Innovative solution Smartcity Expo World Congress 2014 etc and been finalist in many competitons. We also launched our product OMOMI on the google playstore https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobicure.omomi last year and have about 1000+ downloads. Listed top10 app shaping healthcare in Africa in 2014. Recently launched OMOMI sms service following partnership with MAMA Global

Q6: You were a runner up in the Mobile West Africa 2015 challenge, what are your thoughts about the event and how do you plan to takeoff from here? 
The event was absolutely brilliant. I definitely have learnt a lot from the speakers and panelist as well as individuals I met at the event. I hope to put some of the lessons learnt into practice and adapt them to my company.

Q7: What is your piece of advice to intending tech entrepreneurs?
Tech entrepreneurship is not all about gadgets and pretty apps, but solving a social problem. If your solution is beneficial to one billion people then you easily become a billionaire.

Comments