NaijaTalkTalk: My Plans For Nigerian Fashion Scene – Merit Gordon Obua

Dr Merit Gordon Obua is a fashion aficionado and a philanthropist. Her love for the fashion and her works has earned her a converted position as a patron of the World Fashion Organisation. Her NGO, Branzuk Ikuli Centre for Social Rehabilitation has also earned her a lot of international recognition including an honorary doctorate degree at the Common wealth University in Belize. In this chat with Hazeez Balogun and Kimberly Okonkwo in Lagos, she speaks about her works and plans for the future.

Obua
Obua

You took African women leaders to USA sometimes back , what transpired at that time?
That one was about African women in leadership. It’s a yearly program. So, in 2013, I was given an award based on a humanitarian ground, helping the youths and sanitizing their minds. I have a slogan; when you sanitize, when you reform the minds of the youth, you are securing their future. So, it was based on that platform that I have an NGO though I didn’t make it public. So, I now have different awards. I was invited to a program in June, 2013. So, I led Nigerian women to Uyo.

 The conference took place at Uyo  where I was part of the sponsors. After that award, they now made me a live patron of that body. That was when I now led African women to US in collaboration with US state senators and it took place in Atlanta, Georgia and was hosted by Senator Donzilla James. That program attracted quite a lot of audience not just Nigerians though we were fully represented; Local Government women, career women. The whole point was that as a woman is trying to build her career, she should not forget her basic obligation at home. For example, I’m trying to build a career in fashion; using fashion to fight poverty, using the creative industry to tell youths to shun ensigncy, this is a platform created for you to create wealth for yourself at minimal expenses.

You don’t need government to give you a job, the world has gone beyond people working for somebody. In the process of doing that, I should not forget my basic obligation, taking care of my husband, taking care of my children which is the main aim of African women in leadership.

You’re a patron of the world fashion organization, what does the body represent?
World Fashion Organization is a humanitarian and non-profit organization. It has head quarters in US, Washington and it has another office in China simply because everything about fashion is being produced in China but as we speak, they have left China to Indonesia. Meanwhile, Indonesia six years ago was like Nigeria but now, they have moved higher and beyond Nigeria in terms of economy because they came to understand that when your indigene uses your product, the money remains in the country.

Majority of the adire we use in Lagos or in Nigeria are coming from Indonesia but they came here to see how we produce it. They arrived at this simply because their government built garment manufacturing plans and this is a major thing that makes the fashion industry very strong.

For example, Nigeria has fabulous and talented designers that are creative even in terms of competition all over the world if brought to the table, designers that will beat Nigerian designers are not much but because we are lacking garment manufacturers. For example, this shirt you’re wearing, when you go to Indonesia, they can produce over a thousand in one hour because of the plants, they use 3D but here in Nigeria, only one man does the cutting. They are still stuck up with manual production while those in Indonesia have gone digital.

Then, the World Fashion Organization is the government body of fashion all over the world just like in football where they have FIFA. For example, when you hear that there’s going to be world cup in Nigeria, FIFA is the one bringing it to Nigeria. So, World Fashion Organization brings world fashion week to Nigeria. So when we talk about World Fashion Organization, they bring all the countries and big boys or top designers in fashion coming to Nigeria to exhibit.

So, how did you become the patron of the organization?
I came through on a philanthropic ground and secondly, as a growing person, I like looking fashionable even if I don’t have much accessories on. In 2013, there was a program that took place in Paris where a big name in Nigeria was mentioned to anchor that program and people around there disagreed and said there was a smaller person that this title should go to because he has been helping the youth and will only take the award and drop it but this smaller person will take it and push it on. So, that was how I was nominated to be the Patron of World Fashion Organization, in charge of Africa.
Mrs. Obua at her doctorate degree conferement
Mrs. Obua at her doctorate degree conferement

That must be a very big task
Very big.  The event took place in Paris on the 2nd of June, 2013. It was a one-day event, it was my first day to witness a runway program but it has been my habit that anytime I travel out, I look for something to come back home with.  So, I met with the board of governors and I said “I like this. So, how do we do it in Nigeria? What are the activities, other things that are involved apart from this runway show and they said they desire to build six international eyes; six world fashion universities across the world, one per continent. So, I said I would like the one for Africa since I’m patron today but they made me understand that there are other African countries that have been there before me who have bided for it but I said “I am patron, let’s try” and after the meeting, the Chairman of the board of governors said for me to be on the lead while I’m new, that they’ll like to see my performance after hosting the whole Africa in Nigeria and if they are impressed, they will then be convinced that I can handle the World Fashion University.

That was why last year, we now hosted African Fashion Reception in Bayelsa, though it was meant to be in Abuja but the Governor of Bayelsa State offered to sonsor so that was how it ended up being held there. That was when we brought in over thirty five countries to Bayelsa, international designers to collaborate, to showcase with Nigerian designers. Then, we also brought in models from Milan, Asia , Indonesia to mix up with our local models in order to make comparison. Sometimes, you feel you’re on top but by the time you see others doing their own thing, you realize you have a long way to go which was a way of building our youth. Another aim was using that platform to encourage more youths to embrace fashion as business and a means of livelihood. So, that was how last year’s program came to light and we were scored high.

What was their response after the whole event?
Initially, they didn’t quite agree with the location of the event but I made them understand that if they want to fight poverty, we should as well hold the program where poverty is the order of the day; the grassroot. By the time they arrived and saw the terrain, they were negligent on going back and asked to change their take-off time but I told them they had to go so that next year, they’ll be so eager to come back. They were impressed. We have a land for the university but that doesn’t mean the University will be restricted to Bayelsa state, any other state that is interested or wants to support is welcome to. We’ll also spread it to accommodate them. They are coming up with various projects like garment manufacturing plants and the World Fashion Tower to assist our designers.

When do they plan on fulfilling all these promises?
It should be after this year’s program and as a result of last year’s program, they have also offered us a place in next year’s program in Paris. They have given us a pavilion where over one hundred and ninety countries are gathering in Paris for one week. Nigeria has been given a pavilion to exhibit Nigerian clothes, bags, jewelries, accessories and so many other things made in Nigeria. For the main event, Nigerian has been given one hour to showcase. After searching for talented youths, they’ll ask you to be on the runway which is surrounded by top designers whose names we hear all the time. From there, they’ll start signing up youths to exhibit for them.

I don’t think that has happened before. That must have been the first time?
No, it has never happened before, all these came up as a result of our performance during last year’s event.
It was as though they relegated Nigeria before but it’s as though we are now taking centre stage.
Nigeria is taking centre stage in the global market but we need to do more and that is where we need more sponsors because as we are going higher, it’s becoming overwhelming for one person to handle. So, we are appealing for Nigerians that are lovers of fashion and wants youths to succeed in the fashion business to please assist us in any way they can. We’ve called on corporate organizations that sponsor youth programs to use this opportunity and platform to sponsor youths, most of them have indicated interest but we really need them because according to next year’s calendar, we have about 6-7 events where Nigeria has been given a platform o exhibit for top designers to sign them up.

Why exactly did you decide to set-up such an organization?
We gave birth to that centre in 2008. That was when I came into limelight, trying to givre birth to the society. I had to set-up that platform because you can’t just walk on the street, you see a youth and start talking to him/her. So, I set it up to gather youths together and talk to them. Like I said earlier, when you reform the minds of the youth, you’re securing their future. That was exactly the way my father brought me up. My father never for once flogged me, all he did was provide me imageries of two category of persons; the typical poor man and the rich man.

Then he’ll ask you “Among these two persons, which would you like to be when you grow up?” Obviously, one would want to be the rich man and then, he would ask “Assuming God created you to live a hundred years, when you hold yourself from your first year to thirty years; you work hard and do well in your education, the remaining years you have should be enjoyment for you but if you do things the wrong way, then you’ll end up becoming a farmer married to a palm wine tapper.

Then, the best of your product would be bought by the rich man. So, you’ll keep working for the rich and earning peanuts and you’ll end up being a poor person for the rest of your life”. As a child, that kept ringing in my head to the extent that every area of my life was guarded by that even when going on errands. All these formed the basis on which this platform was established.

I  also want to give to others what worked for me as a youth. My dad died a year after my wedding but I’m here today thanks to the principles laid down before me. My dad died when I was thirty six, today I’m 44 and I’m here with no regrets. Assuming I hadn’t taken his advice, I wouldn’t be where I am today. So, It’s a way of giving back the formula that works for me so it can also work for them. It was on this platform I was recognized in various forms.

How did you come about that name “Branzuk Ikoli”
It’s actually my father’s name. His full name is Branzuk and my grandfather’s name; maiden name is Ikoli. So, the principle and advice given to me was what inspired me to name it after him.

 your activities in that centre, recognition came from a University abroad. How did you feel?
I was shocked, I was surprised. I never new that such a modest gesture like this would attract international eyes because I’ve not even launched the centre. When the recognition came, I was wondering how they contacted me and they said someone I assisted disclosed my name and when they tried making research on people that do this kind of thing in Nigeria, my name came up.

I also wanted to make sure I wasn’t making any payments because I have never paid one naira for any award. This year, I was nominated for Achievers award in South Africa or Ghana and I declined. This recognition indicated that at everything one is doing, bear in mind that people are watching. It’s actually urging me to do more. So, I very much appreciate that recognition, it’s one of the reasons I keep going without being discouraged, bearing in mind that there are people I need to reach out to.

How do you manage your time when it comes to taking care of the family and building your career?
For the past four years, I don’t think I have slept for more than four or six hours. Well quoted from the Bible, God will not give you more than you can carry. Secondly, this is the only time I have to be active. Between sixty and seventy, I don’t think I’ll be as active as this. So, I’m doing my best to be active now. Like I said to career women not to neglect their home and face their career.

Even now that I’m traveling for a week, I’ve dedicated two days to cooking and stocking enough food in the freezer. Then, I don’t stay beyond a week except I’m traveling with my family, we can stay as long as three weeks or one month but if not, I don’t spend more than a week. They also say charity begins at home, you cannot take care of others and neglect your immediate family and that’s where most pastors go wrong, after casting and binding to deliver others, they forget that in their home, there’s no prayer life.

I know your husband is a very busy man, how does he support you?
He supports me if not, I won’t be here. By giving me the opportunity alone, he has done more than enough already.

How did you meet your husband?
I met my husband as a village girl. In those days, a family member would just come and make inquiries and by the time they told my husband, he was surprised to discover that such a girl existed. So, we didn’t meet on the street.

Tell us about growing up in Bayelsa
It was quite rosy but not entirely because I grew up in the palace. My father was not a king, he was a retired senior TV director, programs on NTA before he died. My aunty was the first wife of the king of our community. So, I wouldn’t say I went through what others went through because I had friends who didn’t have it rosy. So, it wasn’t a complete bed of roses. I came from a community which had over forty six oil wells but yet, government had not fully recognized him. So, it’s like someone that has a rich father and can’t enjoy his riches. I lived there till I was nineteen after my secondary school. Then, I came to Lagos to finish my education.

What are your plans for the future?
We have great plans for our future youths but we need sponsors because we’ve been asked to bring twenty top models and five top designers to showcase in the big market but we cannot execute all these successfully without good sponsors to push this organization forward to attract deserving audience.

Comments