NaijaTalkTalk- TotalSportNaija- OLO: There Is A New Dawn in Pro Golf


Francis Olo
Francis Olo
Francis Olo, one of the individual supporters of the Professional Golfers’ Association of Nigeria (PGAN) has said that there is a new shift in professional golf in the country.


His assertion came on the heels of the emergence of Sunday Olapade as the winner of his self-sponsored Pro-Am at the Otukpo Golf and Country Club, in Benue State on March 1st, 2015.

“I felt so happy when I was told Olapade’s win was his first since he turned professional;with the way he played, I sense there is a new order in the pro circuit” he said.

Olapade who turned pro in January 2011 has been robbed of outright win on the Tour on several occasions. He has attributed his misses to ill-luck and inexperience which he believes only perseverance can cure.
“I just had to continue and believe that one day my turn will come” Olapade shared after his win.

Olo, a former captain at the Dolphin Golf Club in Navy Town in Lagos says he has always taken risks with aspiring young players; “that is why I was elated when Olapade emerged.

“If an Oche or Korblah wins, it is expected, but with the emergence of players like Olapade, I sense a new dawn on the Tour.” He said.

Olapade had led the Francis Olo at 54 event from day-one, but let it off on days-three to Chukwudi Okoro from UBTH Golf Club before surging back in the final round to win after play-off with Emos Korblah on the first hole.
“Anything could have happened” he said after the round “but I am grateful for all the support I got from friends and family especially my sponsor; Honourable Dan Mayuku who has been encouraging me even at low moments”

Olapade pocketed N588, 000 along with Emos Korblah whom he shared the first spot with out of the N7million that was staked at the 72 holes Championship.

Comments